Where the sun is shining and the sand is pink

Saturday, August 20, 2016

We had two full days at sea before the ship went ashore in Bermuda. Somehow I managed to totally fail at taking pictures on the second day. It looked a lot like the first though...breakfast, pool, playtime, and dinner at the Brazilian steak house. 

So let's move on to the next day - our first day on the Island of Bermuda. I woke up early and snuck out on the balcony to catch some views and pictures of the sun rising on the sea. So pretty. 

Perry meanwhile was not so enthusiastic about morning. He's not a morning person ever...even when there is a fun beach day ahead. We were able to get up, turn the lights on and get totally ready (walking and talking all around him) and he would not even move. Bless him.


We met up with the whole crew for breakfast at the buffet and then headed off the boat as soon as we could and hailed a shuttle van ride to the Horseshoe Bay beach area. 

When we got there we were blown away at how beautiful it was. All beaches are pretty, but this one was out of this world amazing. We got there early enough there were very few people on the beach yet for the day. We took advantage of some picture taking time and got nestled into a prime beach spot. By the time we left mid-day the beach was super crowded. We were very glad to have arranged our own transportation rather than a cruise excursion so we could come and go on our own time table.

The water was a tad chilly, but not too bad once you got submerged. It was totally clear though, and the bottom was solid, soft sand. Perfect for playing. 

We took a stroll as a group along the beach and explored lots of little inlets and climbed up on a rocky mountain to check out the view. The terrain was spectacular. And so different from beaches down here in the gulf or Florida. I mean just look....

the above picture could be renamed "that time I almost put my hand on a crab"

I love this picture so so much

We could have stayed on the beach all day I am pretty sure. But we had already planned and prepared to head back to the ship around lunch time to eat and freshen up and go explore some more of the island. We decided to take the ferry to the city of Hamilton and walk around a bit. We had no real agenda except to explore. We found a historical museum which miraculously had free wifi, so we sat outside there for a bit and checked in with the outside world. We walked the streets and meandered a few shops. The thing we found most amusing was the dress code of the local business men. Being the capitol city there were lots of them. Apparently in Bermuda it is totally acceptable and professional to wear a button down and blazer along with a brightly colored pair of bermuda shorts and tall socks. It was cool to see real "bermuda shorts" first hand.  

Once we had our fill of the city we grabbed the ferry back to the cruise ship terminal. We were starting to lose people to sleep by this point, Perry in his stroller and Andrew got a little snooze in during the ferry ride back. 

This evening Ann and us took all the kids back on the ship while Emily and Matt had an evening out on the island to celebrate their anniversary. The rest of us ate dinner in the Manhattan room on the boat - one of the nice main dining rooms and called it an early night. It had been a full and very fun day. And it was just one of three days we got to spend on the amazing island of Bermuda.

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post  Signature